Experienced Toy Designer: Responsible for taking hundreds of toys from concept through production.Specialties include brainstorming ideas, creating concept boards, rendering design illustrations,managing prototype development, developing features and play patterns, and presenting to management.
Strong drawing skills: Expertise includes creating quick idea sketches, full-color character illustration in Adobe Photoshop, fashion illustration, technical drawings, turns, and flats.
Fashion Design: Passionate follower of fashion and market trends. Produced a wide variety of head-to-toe looks for dolls, including clothes, accessories, hair and makeup that are stylish, whimsical and appealing to girls. In-depth knowledge of garment construction, pattern making and textiles.
Product Innovation: Collaborated with a team of inventors to create Pony Royale. Conceptualized and designed several successful lines for Barbie Collector, including Dolls of the World – The Princess Collection.
Project Coordination: Collaborated with a diverse group of professionals, including sample-makers, sculptors, hair-stylists, costing engineers and marketing to deliver projects on schedule and at cost.
Multifaceted Worker: Able to express ideas clearly through verbal and written communication. Accustomed to juggling multiple projects, changing priorities and unexpected revisions. Super organized.
Computer Expertise: Proficient in Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Microsoft Office, and WordPress. Accustomed to working with Cintiq and Wacom.
Heather Fonseca Design Studio, Independent Doll and Toy Designer. Los Angeles, CA. 2003 – Present
- Provide toy design and illustration services for entrepreneurs and toy companies including Spinmaster, MGA Entertainment, Jakks Pacific, Moose toys and Mattel.
- Worked on many kinds of girl’s toys including fashion dolls, plush toys, large and small dolls, figurines, baby dolls, play-sets, roll-play costumes and paper dolls.
- Collaborated with a team of inventors to create Pony Royale, a line of fantasy-fashion pony dolls produced by Razor. Researched, designed, illustrated and built the initial concepts for the doll. Pitched the concept to toy companies.
- Designed and developed prototypes of the Avastars dolls, including the interactive face deco designs for 3D printing.
Otis College of Art and Design, Guest Lecturer. Los Angeles, California. 2013 – Present
- Produced and presented a one-day long fashion doll workshop to toy design students.
- Mentored Juniors in Drawing 5 and Drawing for Portfolio Development classes by critiquing their design work.
- Served as juror in guest panel for final presentations in Toy Design IV class.
Sewing Arts Center, Instructor. Santa Monica, California. 2009 – 2010
- Taught groups of students how to make basic alterations to commercial patterns, understand the qualities of different fabrics, assemble a quality sewing kit, and sew garments.
Mattel Toys, Senior Project Designer. El Segundo, California. 1995 – 2003
- Created numerous fashion dolls from the entry-level, mainline bathing suit line to glamorous evening gowns and historical costumes for Barbie Collector.
- Managed dolls from ideation through development to manufacture. Cost reduced projects to hit financial goals while maintaining design aesthetics.
- Traveled to Hong Kong and China to direct product development and view manufacturing process.
- Conceptualized and designed several top-selling doll lines for Barbie collector, including Dolls of the World – The Princess Collection, the Style Set Collection and The Birthstone Collection.
Mattel Toys, Temp Designer. El Segundo, California. 1993 – 1995
- Managed multiple projects in Barbie “customized” team, designing dolls and Barbie fashions.
- Maintained tracking and timelines for milestones including internal approvals, production turnovers and production submissions.
- Generated design “spec” sheets; specifying colors, treatments, and materials for all projects.
Passport USA Clothing Company, Assistant Designer. Los Angeles, California. 1992 – 1993
- Assisted head designer with fashion illustration, technical drawings and pattern making.
Zoology: Assistant Designer. Santa Monica, California. 1992 – 1993
- Illustrated line sheets and created presentation boards for elegant knitwear company.
Reebok International Ltd. Apparel Division, Intern. Stoughton, Massachusetts. Summer 1992
- Reebok International “Designovation” contest winner
- Created a new line of skating apparel. Produced and presented prototypes. .
Cerrutti 1881, Intern. Paris, France. Spring 1992
- Assisted menswear fashion design team with mood board production, clothing design and coordinating presentations.
Parsons Paris School of Art and Design. Paris, France. 1990-1992 (Bachelor Fine Arts, Fashion Design)
- Designed and constructed garments under the direction of designers from Esprit, Cerrutti 1881 and Rochas.
Otis College of Art and Design, Los Angeles, CA. 1988 – 1990