Fashion illustrations from the 90’s

Fashion Illustrations from the 90's - a Red Jacket is worn over a slim black dress. I found these fashion illustrations from the 90’s stored away in my parent’s garage, photographed them, and cleaned them up in Adobe Photoshop.  I must have designed this collection in 1990 at Otis before I left for Parsons in Paris.  The spool-shaped heels were “in” along with square-toed shoes, ankle length skirts were as popular as mini skirts, and strong color combinations were all the rage. Here are a few of the illustrations, painted with gouache and finished with pencil, along with my memories of 90’s fashion.

Cropped Tops! Bustiers! Maxi Skirts! 90’s Fashion in Full Force

Back when I was in school learning the skills needed to survive in the fashion industry my classmates and I felt incredibly smug about the superiority of our generation, at least in terms of style.  Gone were the shoulder pads, big bows, neon colors, acid wash jeans and big hair of the 80’s.  We were ushering in a more elegant, beautiful and stylish period in fashion.  I look back at the time and can’t help but like the look, but I know so many people who don’t agree!  “Oh the 90’s were SO ugly.” they say. I know it’s normal for the current generation to look back at the style of the last one and say “yuck”, but  I don’t remember the 90’s being all that terrible.

Fashion Illustrations from the 90’s

Fashion Illustration of a blond girl wear a black mini dress with white tights and a gold belt

I really don’t know why the girl above is wearing white tights.  I seem to remember I liked the look at the time, it certainly wouldn’t happen now! The black mini dress is pretty classic though.

Fashion Illustrations from the 1990's: black bustier, mini skirts, maxi skirts and cropped tops.

Bustier tops would stay in fashion for another 10 years, especially in evening wear, and the crop top was the look of the 90’s. The pleated mini skirt goes in and out of fashion every few years.  I’ve always liked them.

What do you think of these fashion illustrations from the 90’s?  Fugly or fun?

Comments (12)

1. THE-LOUDMOUTH
    June 15, 2011 - 11:04 AM

I think ALL of these are fun! I probably wouldn’t wear the cropped top, but the rest of the outfits are totally doable for me personally. I love that you managed to find old illustrations and clean ’em up 🙂

• sunil
      June 20, 2011 - 10:15 PM

@THE-LOUDMOUTH, i think pleated skirts and horizentel stripe and co-ordinate print in, few years and also buster i think in all time becoz every young girl want looks hot and young

2. Heather Fonseca
    June 15, 2011 - 8:51 PM

Thanks Stephanie! I’m so glad you like them. I’m actually surprised at how well they held up in terms of style, or maybe it’s just that the 90’s are returning and hence the styles from the time look better than they did.

3. June 16, 2011 - 10:32 AM

As for the white tights/stockings, I have a vague memory of wearing those in the early 90s. I like your designs.

• Heather Fonseca
      June 18, 2011 - 4:46 PM

@Terri, I’m so glad someone remembers the white tights trend. I kind of remember it, but sometimes I really wonder at myself.

4. June 16, 2011 - 10:38 AM

You are a talented illustrator! Interesting how so much of these drawings could still play these days – maybe with slight changes 😉 (no tights). Thank you for sharing! If you find some more, post them for us.

• Heather Fonseca
      June 18, 2011 - 4:47 PM

@Metsy, Thanks Metsy! I’m glad you like them. I do have a few others but they’re hard to clean up because I painted them on grey paper. The white paper ones are easy.

5. June 17, 2011 - 12:35 AM

Wow these are such fun illustrations! It’s funny how fashion is always cyclical. The 90’s were definitely a power generation, especially with the Supermodels owning the catwalk and empowering a designer brand.
    Have a fab weekend.
    x.o.x.o

6. Pingback: Spring 2011 – Outfits

7. June 20, 2011 - 8:47 PM

Wow these are great. It feels like some of these trends are still present.

8. June 22, 2011 - 9:10 AM

@Dennis Salvatier, Thanks Dennis! I’m glad you like them.